PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Suggestions for Magazine Articles
View Single Post
Old 11th Feb 2004, 15:53
IO540

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The challenge lies in the fact that the UK flying crowd is going to be very different from the pprune crowd. Only a tiny % of pilots are online. Most PPLs I know have never used the internet for weather info, for example - what a waste!

So any wish list we come up with isn't going to be of much help to the magazine.

Having said that, I would have more post-PPL material, aimed at people who want to go places. Radio navigation (GPS/VOR/DME) and how it may be done in different places (e.g. France has no DMEs, only TDMEs). Easy and quick flight planning using the internet for weather and notams (some article I read recently suggested that a foreign trip should be planned at least 1-2 months ahead!!!!). Instrument flight (surely there must be SOME people whose IMC Rating has not expired??). The routes to PPL/IR (FAA, N-reg). The CAA won't like the last bit written about but until we get a usable European IR they have to accept it.

I would like to see an acknowledgement that the PPL training is too basic to enable most fresh pilots to confidently go to places, and offer information on how to progress to the next stage. This means a complete inclusion of GPS for example, much as many won't like that.

Last edited by IO540; 11th Feb 2004 at 16:08.