PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Positive HIV test... what now?
View Single Post
Old 11th Feb 2004, 06:39
Alpha One

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
justfoundout

You should not take offence at being accused of being a journalist. There are many journalists use PPRuNe, some openly and some not so openly.
When you say that you require a medical for your job, I assume that you mean a JAR Class 1. As you know, you will have to declare a positive HIV test at your next revalidation as it is one of the questions asked. To lie about it is risking serious consequences. The rules are covered in JAR-FCL 3.190 and JAR-FCL 3.310. In particular, Appendix 7 to Subpart C states (1) HIV positive is disqualifying. (2) Recertification of HIV positive individuals to multi-pilot (Class 1) or safety-pilot (Class 2) operations may be considered by the AMS subject to frequent reviews.

Hawk and Bad Medicine

I believe that my post was entirely appropriate. Anyone who finds themself in this situation is under a great deal of stress and does not always think clearly. To give too much information to an unidentifiable contact at a hotmail address could have dire consequences. I'm sure that justfoundout is entirely genuine, but I still believe that anyone with this condition should be careful what they disclose, especially if their e-mail address can be identified. Many of my friends are journos, and many of them are long established PPRuNers. I certainly do not consider it an insult.