PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Positive HIV test... what now?
View Single Post
Old 11th Feb 2004, 00:05
justfoundout

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Positive HIV test... what now?

Hello everybody,

unfortunately I have had the misfortune to have recently received a positive HIV test result. I have not told my employer at present.

Whilst this has come as somewhat of a shock to me, I am managing to continue my everyday life at the moment. I am not feeling depressed and I am still otherwise healthy and able to carry on as normal. I am not taking any medication at the moment, although I realise that this will probably change in the future.

My main worry at the moment is my job and the fact that, working in aviation, I am required to pass a medical in order to do it.

I would be interested to hear from anybody who is in the same situation to me, or even anybody who can offer advice or the benfefit of experience of dealing with somebody in my situation. I would also be grateful of any information on where I stand in law if I fail my medical on account of my HIV status. Could my employer terminate my employment on account of my HIV status?

I can be contacted via my email address [email protected] . I can assure anybody that replies that total discretion is assured, and you do not need to give your name. However, some details of your profession may be useful but not essential.

Many many thanks in advance to anybody who takes the time to reply.