PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Mac Networking help
View Single Post
Old 10th Feb 2004, 23:35
Evo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mac Networking help

I've just got an eMac (with OSX Panther) for my wife, but i'm struggling to get it networked and connected to the internet. I've got an ADSL router doubling as a DHCP server, and everything else (two Win/XP PCs and an x86 linux box) self-configure quite happily. However, the Mac claims not to be able to configure networking - so i'm guessing it isn't talking DHCP. However, it's giving me no useful information to find out what's wrong!

Now i've never used a Mac before, and after clicking on everything technical looking (and there isn't much!) I found something that allowed me to force an IP address and Netmask. If i do this I still can't access the web or add a network printer, but the other computers can now ping the Mac on the IP address I've given it. Slight progress... but now i've run out of ideas. I'm a unix person at heart, my solution to network problems is with ping, tracert, route and the like. If these exist on OSX then i've got no idea where to find them. Command line would be nice (now all the Mac users are really laughing at me! ).

So... where now?!? How do I get this fuggin' computer to tell me something useful? It's great in a "hey dude, chill out while i auto-apply a groovy filter to your jpegs... whoa man, check the colour balance now" kind of way, but it's hard to believe there's a proper operating system in there somewere...