PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Terrain Avoidance / F15s
View Single Post
Old 10th Feb 2004, 20:31
jack-oh

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I quite agree that RAS can be limited by all the criteria stated but that doesn't mean that you can now just call the ac and be dammed. RAS states that standard separation is to be maintained between participating ac. It does not state between participating IFR ac or that you should ignore VFR traffic it just says all of them. And this is how all mil units interpret the provision of this service. Unless co-ordination can be achieved either laterally or vertically then advice must be given to resolve the confliction. This is why people get ******ed around, but if I may add that all restrictions to VFR ac are by request and not an instruction. This is why providing RAS to ac descending into an airfield with VFR ac all around becomes tricky. Not because I don’t know the rules, but because the rules provide no provision otherwise. Whilst I sympathise with Mad-Jock we have taken steps to rectify the situation which are currently on the table for discussion, if you speak to Brian he will be able to enlighten you. As I stated earlier RAS should include the provision for separation between participating IFR ac, traffic information on participating VFR traffic and avoiding action on unknown ac. However, as I also stated earlier some pilot’s interpretation of VFR can be suspect. Equally, mil ac roar around in excess of 500kts, see and avoid becomes very difficult at these speeds and keeps the airprox board in work.

Mad-Jock I am still on for that flight if you can oblige