PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Terrain Avoidance / F15s
View Single Post
Old 10th Feb 2004, 15:58
whowhenwhy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Chilli we certainly agree on the calling of traffic to FIS issue. Many's the time I've sat down working FIS ac with something going 5 miles through his 12 o'Clock, 500' below, not called it-because it doesn't constitute a direct threat-and been told off for it. Again we have the mil/civ issue. Civ ATCOs are much more likely, in my experience, to treat FIS like a FIS, whereas mil ATCOs will generally have identified the ac. You then have a tendency, once you've identified that ac, to possibly give him something approaching a RIS because that is the way in which our training system slants. Saying that however, ratt I agree! Everyone should have a VFR conspicuity code so that if they are working FIS traffic, other ATC units with SSR know who's got what. Jack-oh, if you work near where you say your located then yes there is a lot of VFR traffic, but you can still implement RAS to the letter. Limit for high traffic density, prioritize provision of separation against known traffic, above unknown traffic and warn them that standard separation may not be achieved. I'm not trying to teach you to suck eggs, and it may not give you the most comfortable feeling in the world not getting 5nms, 3000' against everything, but we can provide a RAS to the letter!