PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Cockpit Visits
Thread: Cockpit Visits
View Single Post
Old 10th Feb 2004, 05:18
GGCC

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Too bad things are where they are now regarding aircraft security.
I recall a flight as a passenger on an Air Canada Vickers Viscount around the winter of 1969

It was to be a 2 hopper from Saint John, N.B, to Fredericton, N.B. then on 400 miles to Montreal, Que................

It was snowing heavily at departure from YSJ we made it the 50 miles to Fredericton and then the Captain asked everyone to deplane as the flight would not proceed to MTL because of the runways being snowed in and that other arrangements would be made for the passengers

I was the last to leave just as the Captain and 2nd officer appeared, i told them i was a private pilot and asked just what the chances were of continuing to MTL

The Pilot said he had a date that nite in MTL so we will be going there for sure and if you want to get to MTL "stick with us"

So believe it or not i spent the next 4 or so hours shootin the **** with these guys in operations and then the "all clear" came in from MTL...OK says the Captain to his flight crew lets go.
So we fire up and head to MTL..I'm the only paying passenger aboard.about 20 mins into the flight i get invited into the cockpit, the second vacates his seat and motions me into it, the Captain runs over the controls etc, then turns off the autopilot and says "you have control" Holy **** i actually flew that aircraft for about 5 mins..........not necessarily straight and level but i flew it.

We arrived in MTL safe and sound, never got the Lads names but i assume the Captain kept his date, i know i kept mine

Ah! the "Good Old Days"