PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Ryanair pilots to fight O'Leary ban on unions
Old 9th Feb 2004, 21:30
BillHicksRules

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bijave/Scottie,

Despite Down3greens questionable personal ethics, he makes a good point. Any employee is only worth what their employer will pay them.

This has been discussed on earlier threads about pilot T&Cs in general, so I will try and condense for ease of reading. There are several issues pilots today need to be aware of when it comes to pay deals :

1) There is a surplus of qualified pilots.
2) This surplus is only going to get worse as more airlines go to the wall.
3) The public is unlikely to have sympathy for pilots in a strike situation.
4) None of you pilots were forced into the industry. You all chose it with eyes open.
5) Change is a fact of life in industry. You either adapt to it or you get out. Simple choice.
6) You get more than ample salaries at the moment.
7) Not many of you have nothing to fall back on in terms of education.

That said you should have the same rights and responsibilities as any company employee with regards to union association. For those in Ryanair, I would check EU law on union membership and working conditions. The key concept to check out is whether Ryanair are allowed to negotiate independently with each group of pilots in the separate bases. My understanding is that it is illegal to pay two employees, doing the same job, differently. This stands AFAIK for location, gender, race, religion etc.

Some final thoughts.
1) According to the financial press Ryanair could run passengerless for 3 years before it was in trouble. That assumes it is still flying so imagine how long it can go if it is not flying. How many Ryanair pilots could go 3 years with no sector pay?
2) What is to stop MOL simply shutting Ryanair down, taking his money and retiring. Leaving even more unemployed pilots?
3) Why not try looking for a win-win option to present MOL rather than digging heels in this early? MOL maybe an arrogant SOB but he is a successful businessman and prefers opportunities to confrontation.

Good Luck to all

BHR