PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Are you SICK of instructing?
View Single Post
Old 9th Feb 2004, 20:53
Highbypasss

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Some clarification.

Hi to everyone.

1. This is NOT a wind up.
2. lackov is a very good friend of mine who knows me well. Thanks for your support mate.
3. When I included that I put in 110% for my students, I MEAN'T IT.
4. I am still in constant contact with MANY students that I have taught in the past. SMS, e-mail, telephone; I love to hear that they've either broken into the comercial "game" or that they simply enjoy private flying. Fly away's, club competitions, all the great things that flying clubs have to offer. And it's all because they had the passion and desire, and I had the patience, skill and enthusiasm.
5. Spinnerhead You're not an instructor. That's a given. And, no offence intended mate, but I'll be willing to fly off ANYONE. I don't consider myself as only a PILOT. In my opinion a PILOT is someone who "sits" in an aircraft. I am ALSO a "FLYER". There are times when being a PILOT is apropriate, and there are times when you must be a FLYER. A FLYER straps the aircraft to him/herself and they become part of the aircraft. They become one unit. ANYTHING that the aircraft does, bad or good, is the fault of the flyer. A few years ago I started a thread about the skills and abilities of instructors v's charter/bush pilots. I now have almost 800 hours experience as a bush pilot in multi's, singles, turbos, high wing, low wing, lycomings, continentals, mine runs, mail runs, heaps and heaps of short, dry, bumpy, narrow strips, instructing ab-initio and nav, bright students, challenging students, extreamly smelly students....(have I left anything out?), and I can honestly say this. When I moved here, away from home, I could mix it with anyone IMEDIATELY, even back then. My new boss was very impressed with my company check flight. I atribute this to the skills I developed as an instructor. If you can strap anything from a 172, to a Navajo to your back, fly a manoeuvre RIGHT ON THE NUMBERS, AND accurately describe every step of the manoeuvre, then i'll listen to you. And just to further clarify, I DO NOT THINK THAT ANY TYPE OF WORK NECESSARILY MAKES A BETTER PILOT/FLYER THAN ANOTHER. LET ME MAKE THIS CLEAR!!! I just don't apreciate people who have never instructed before, telling me that I am not a "real pilot". However, regardless of your overall experience itchybum, OzExpat, Ace on Base, HEALY, and anyone else with a similar opinion, you have missed the point totally.

In my original post, I did not mention the word "sympathy" at all. That's not what i'm after. I have simply reached a point in my CHOSEN career when I feel I need some advice to help me get through a dificult period. I will provide no less a service to my students than I brought with me as a fresh and enthusiastic junior grade 3. I get on very well with all my current students. They have the choice to fly with other instructors when i'm not available, but CHOOSE to fly with me. This is BY NO MEANS having a dig at the other instructors. I guess it just proves that they don't have a problem with me as their instructor.

getmeoutovga, and all with similar posts and opinions. I thank you for understanding. In fact, you said it in far fewer words than i've used here, but far better ( I must admit). Your second parragraph is absolutely spot on. Thanks.

Last edited by Highbypasss; 9th Feb 2004 at 21:04.