PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Ryanair pilots to fight O'Leary ban on unions
Old 9th Feb 2004, 18:31
M.Mouse

Controversial, moi?

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Those of us lucky enough to be in well paid and relatively secure airline positions can easily bleat about people willing to work for next to nothing and undermining the rest of us.

I worked for two years earning a pittance as a civilian flying instructor followed by a year of working for an outfit that also paid a pittance with no allowances, etc., etc., before being accepted for a major airline, funny enough during the last pilot shortage!

We can bleat all we like but I can fully understand new pilots working for nothing in order to gain the experience to enable a move on to better things. It is market forces at work pure and simple.

Historically there is nearly always a glut of pilots/new pilots and rarely a shortage. When there is a shortage it causes the likes of MOL much deserved grief.

He is exploiting the market, what should he do? Should he say 'I have more pilots than I need and people queueing up for the job but I will pay more than is necessary because I am a jolly good chap'?

Who said life was fair?