PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Student Pay!
Thread: Student Pay!
View Single Post
Old 9th Feb 2004, 18:21
ILS 119.5

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My son was born 7 months before my cadetship started. I had a mortgage and had to take salary reduction. My wife and I discussed the situation and agreed that I should continue. 2nd child born during unit training. It would have been easy to remain as an ATSA. BUT we knew that in 2 or 3 years life would improve after a major sacrifice to improve my career and earnings. When I finished the course I was 5K in debt, after validation I was 9K in debt, after 15yrs totally debt free (also I paid for my ATPL) and earning more money than I could ever wish for. I had nothing at one time with CCJ's being threatened, but through hard work and living on the breadline it all worked out OK.
I think that if you really want to have a career as an ATCO or Pilot then the sacrifice is minimal. I understand that there may be certain worries regarding failing, but that is the risk.
My final statement is that, life is for living, enjoy it while you can, live for your family and ensure they have the best (as well as yourself). That's what I'm doing.
ILS