PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Terrain Avoidance / F15s
View Single Post
Old 9th Feb 2004, 15:54
whowhenwhy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Chilli, sorry but your idea on the DoC issue about not identifying them and therefore not worrying about them doesn't work for me. As an ac freecalls us at area, he'll give me an approximate posn report, hdg and a level. 9.9 times out of 10 you know exactly which ac it is calling before you've formally identified him. Call it a feeling in your water, gut instinct, whatever, but you know that it's him (no sexism intended). Am I then supposed to not provide him with possibly life saving information because I did not identify him? My conscience certainly would not be clear! Personally, I think that what we have now works excellently, providing safety and flexibility. Problems are generated by the differences of interpretation of ATSOCAS by different units, particularly the difference between mil and civ units and the education issue of the aircrew themselves. Yes RIS is a side of A4 and it is written in aramaic, but it's generally common sense stuff that we've all got our head around. Who says that you can't provide RAS in busy airspace? We go through the VoY everyday. You may not be able to provide standard separation all the time, but the rules allow for that, as long as you apply them properly. Like I said, sort out the interpretation issues so that we're all humming the same tune and sort out the education issue, especially foreign mil and civ aircrews and we'll all be laughing!