PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Hours building: Questions, Ideas, Advice, Countries etc
Old 9th Feb 2004, 07:49
PPRUNE FAN#1

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Of course it's more helllish. The helicopter industry is tiny in comparison to the fixed-wing industry. For an all-civilian pilot who wants to fly helicopters for money, we have fewer and less clearly defined paths to "success." Much of it depends on a combination of luck, timing, and your personal ability to be charming and pursuasive. Throw in dedication, talent, a higher-than-average skill level and a willingness to relocate anywhere/anytime, and you might find the going fairly easy. But even "fairly easy" is a relative and controversial term.

For many of us, if at the beginning of our careers we really sat down and thought about *how* we were going to do it, we never would've even tried. And in a way, if you have to ask, perhaps you shouldn't. Try, that is. If you have that burning passion to fly helicopters for a living, then by God just go do it. Get your CFI, and your double-I and get to work. But know up front that it's a crapshoot. Remember too that 1,000 hours will not come overnight. It won't take one year, either. It'll take two, three or four years. Maybe more!

In our industry, opportunities generally don't fall in your lap. (Actually, they do, but not often enough to count on.) But you have to be in the game. Like I said, if you worry too much you will get discouraged. So take the long view. The really long view.

And network! Go out and actually meet working helicopter pilots. Become friends with them.

I met a young fixed-wing pilot once who desperately (and idiotically) wanted to become me. He sort of latched on to me, pumping me for industry info. He had spunk, and an infinite level of enthusiasm for helicopters. And although we did not live anywhere near each other, we became friends. Once he got his r/w CFI, he was having trouble finding a job. I happened to come across a flight school that taught in airplanes, an R-22 and a Bell 47.

Out of the blue, I wrote to the owner of the school. I did not know whether they had any openings, but since I know this industry it was a fairly safe bet that they either did or would shortly. I introduced and described myself, and respectfully asked the owner that if he was ever in need of an instructor, he consider my young friend. This elicited a positive response, and my friend did go to work for them where he was able to build some really solid experience. This job lead to another job, which lead to... You get the picture.

The bottom line is that there are no easy ways to do it. You cast your lot and roll the dice. Most likely, you'll be stuck for years as a CFI as my friend was (even with my "help"). I wish it were not so. I wish that there was a more encouraging message we could give aspiring helicopter pilots who want this as a career. But unfortunately, that's just the way it is.

Good luck!