PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Magneto Checks
Thread: Magneto Checks
View Single Post
Old 8th Feb 2004, 22:40
dirkdj

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
S.A.S.

I am sorry but I can't agree with some of your statements.

"The higher cylinder temps caused by running at a leaner mixture are an aid to detonation compared to the much lower temps you would get with an excessively rich mixture. A mixture of around 13.5:1 has been proven to be the ratio most likely to cause detonation. If the mixture is leaned too far, then the slower speed of the flame front can cause all sorts of issues, especially as less heat is converted to mechanical energy and the cylinder temps will rise rapidly."

I suppose you are only considering half of the engine temperature curves: from rich to peak EGT; once past peak EGT both CHT and EGT fall quite rapidly.

The fastest burning mixture is found at about 50° ROP which is also the place to find the hottest CHT.

At high power both very rich (100°ROP +) or very lean (40-90°LOP) mixtures can be used to prevent detonation.
Since both mixtures are slower burning, more of the combustion event will occur later in the downward cycle of the piston, where pressures are dropping rapidly and thus lower temperatures.

The pinging heard on car engines but not on aircraft engines because of the noise is actually the shockwave of the detonation bouncing between the cylinder walls.

From the pilot's point of view, the definition of detonation is a rise of CHT of about 1°F per second with a simultaneous drop in EGT for that cylinder. I have seen this on my friends engine at full power after take-off. The only remedy was to switch on the fuel boost pump (not required in POH for this airplane). The extra fuel immediately stopped the rise and even brought down the temps.