PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Boys, toys & Naples Air Centre
View Single Post
Old 7th Feb 2004, 02:03
CaptainFillosan

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sadly, I think you do need some medication!

This sort of article does GA more harm than good, as it makes it seem the preserve of rich and/or reckless yuppies. I have known train drivers, policemen, sailors, ATCOs, garage mechanics and Civil servants who have held PPLs, and they have all flown out of love for aviation, not because it is the fashionable thing to spend the bonus on.
I think you have deliberately tried to avoid the real issue about GA, or it's big brother, the Commercial scene. I see nothing in the article that suggests that flying is the preserve of the rich. But........having said that you do have to have a good bank balance these days to achieve a PPL. 40-45 hrs is gonna set you back at least £4000 + the books and exams etc., that the Campaign Against Aviation 'steal' from you. See it's not just the government who know about stealth.

Anyway, it does GA a bit of good this article IMHO, and I would like to see more of them. The schools like those in the US and here work hard to get a reputation and some are fantastic. After the PPL it is a moment or two of reflection for a lot of people - about the possibility of making a career out of flying - then the real cost has to be met but it surprises me how many go for it. As they should if that is what they aspire to.

It's a while since I was at flying school but you cannot do without them. And I was one of those who used to say "get yourself up to Biggin at 0900 with your passport, we are off to Le Touq for lunch." A great day out.

If you want to be a commercial pilot just remember the cost, and go for the modular course and do it a bit at a time - but IN THE RIGHT ORDER! That is essential to avoid finding yourself a step ahead of yourself.

Good luck.

Last edited by CaptainFillosan; 7th Feb 2004 at 03:05.