PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - 737 crashes into World Trade Centre
View Single Post
Old 11th Sep 2001, 21:16
KeithAlexander

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This has been a truely unbeleivable day, i turned on the tv just to see the second plane impacting the WTC, its like some sort of surreal dream.

One of my memories of flying into Newark airport was the manhatten skyline, now all of a sudden its all changed. Future generations of people will be told of the day this event happened, i find it hard to believe and i watched it live on TV. The question will be asked over and over again:

Where were you the day the World Trade Centre collapsed?

can anything ever be the same again? are aircraft flight decks going to become impenatrable fortresses to stop these terrorists gaining entry to the flight deck?

There was nothing anybody could do stop this attrocity, i mean, would you want to be the pilot of a fighter jet tasked to intercept and shoot down a passenger jet laden with a few hundred passengers knowing that if you dont then an even bigger catastrophe will occur? I think not.

the fact of the matter is, should anybody manage to hijack another jet anywhere in the world we, the people on the ground are powerless to do anything and must simply sit back and wait for the impact.

I feel for the ATC in the NY area who must have been able to see what was happening, what could he/she do to stop it? The answer: Nothing!

Finally my condolences to anybody involved in this act of terrorism, whether it be Flight Crew, passengers, office workers and other innocent bystanders. Coming from Northern Ireland i suppose in some ways hearing about terrorism is nothing new to me, but this has hit especially deep down, not only becuase i watched events unfold, but also because as a pilot hoping one day to fly commercial jets it shows that there is perhaps a flaw or frailty in airline/airport security that must be dealt with immediatly.

RIP

[email protected]