PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Tales of An Old Aviator .... The Big Chill
Old 6th Feb 2004, 11:12
pigboat

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thanks for sharing the great stories Duke.
I've tried and tried to get some of the guys I knew from this neck of the woods to put their experiences on paper, guys like Mike B, Lloyd H, Wilf A, Phil L. Sadly they're no longer around, and all the great tales have been lost. Phil flew the Norseman all one spring on skis with one foot in a cast, or the time he salvaged a DC-4 off the ice cap and flew it back to Frobe by himself. Mike doing a trip from Mont-Joli to Frobe with the co-pilot locked out of the cockpit. This was the days before CRM, I guess. Mike and Wilf checking each other on the C-46 because each thought the other was the check pilot. When Lloyd began flying up in Ungava, the two most prominent features on the sectionals were "unmapped' and "elevation unknown." All that stuff is lost forever, which makes what you're doing so very important.

Wheeler was before your time in NB, I guess. They got out of the budworm business about 1970, I believe. They had the flock of Stearmen, about a hundred machines or so, and a dozen or so TBM's. The guy in charge of the operation was George Moore.

Last edited by pigboat; 6th Feb 2004 at 11:29.