PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Are Pilots responsible (Financially) ????
Old 6th Feb 2004, 04:19
Downhill Runner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks Bealzebub,

However crew were employed as Freelance pilots ......

Freelance contract / agreement made no mention of "in the event of ......... you will be responsible"

moreover they (company) advised that there was no need to mention this fact because it is comman paractice / law in Germany ....

Ok from my understanding the insurance has paid for damages already .... it is the company who want to persue the matter with the crew ....

We are talking about a major German company here !! not the usual 1 or 2 aircraft company which may be having financial difficulties which would drive them to this course of action towards their crew.

In all the years that I've been around aviation, I have been under the impression that an incident/accident investigation is arranged by the Authory and it is they who determine the course of action if any against the crew, company or whoever.

The insurance company then comes through to cover damages to third parties, crew members , property and so on.

I or no other Pilot which I know have ever been approached, warned, told, advised etc etc etc. that you are at risk of being sue by your employers for any damages or loss of business you cause them.

I know of Loss of License insurance, what is the name of this type of insurance which Pilots must take now???? and where do they advertise all this ????