PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Pilot Magazine Watch Offer
View Single Post
Old 6th Feb 2004, 02:02
Mr Wolfie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I know that this thread started off about a cheapo watch offer, but now that it has quickly descended into a general magazine bashing exercise I thought I'd stick my oar in too.

It strikes me that all 3 mainstream magazines have become sad clones of each other. This months Ultimate High cover feature in Pilot tells us nothing that the seemingly identical article in Flyer did a few months ago. Why can't the commisioning editors see that recycling other peoples good ideas is going to increase the readerships boredom rather than their own circulation figures.

All aircraft flight tests read as identi-kit articles and are often so turgid and unimaginative as to make aircrafts actual POH look like a literarcy masterpeice by comparison. It is the writing equivilent of "painting by numbers". Further more, the constant references to "as we turned onto base we lowered 30 degrees of flap" rather than "I" lowered 30 degrees of flap does give the nagging doubt that it is the factory demonstration pilot rather than the writer doing the flying (or is that just me)?

Articles based on peoples flying holidays are often about as interesting as your neighbours holiday snaps (which in reality is pretty much all the articles add up to anyway). The content of these articles is never far away from woke up at X, had breakfast, flew to Y, had lunch, then flew to Z, had dinner then went to bed (x 7 or 10 days etc.). It's probably very interesting to the author, but not usually that exciting to the readership at large. These articles are only salvaged on the rare occasions that a) there is an actual purpose to the flying, b) the destination and/or flying experience are truly unique or c) the author is a good enough snapper to pad out the prose with some above average pictures.

What is missing from the vast majority all articles in these magazines is originality and an element of passion. The reason that JF is so well thought of is that his knowledge and authority are beyond doubt but more importantly there is a "spark" and enthusiasm that shines through his writing. The only decent article in this months crop of magazines in Bob Grimstead and family having a go at tandem skydiving. (I've no interest in the subject matter itself but the quality of both writing and photography made it a great read). One of the 3 mainstram mags could do worse than give our own PA her own column as her trials and tribulations on her way to her PPL would certainly inject some life and humour into the magazine.

As Mad Jock says a wider imagination when it comes to commisioning articles with more challanging content from people who can REALLY write would start to transform the magazines. I know a number of posters to this forum are also bikers. For those that aren't have a look at a copy of "Bike" magazine. The quality and passion of some of the writing far surpasses what is in the average flying mag. Some of these journos seem to enjoy a regular adrenaline rush - why not commision one of them to do his PPL or an aeros course and see what his account is like. Dave Calderwood, editor of Pilot, is an ex- bike mag journo I seem to remember so maybe he can give the mag a good kick up the @rse.

Anyway, sorry - Rant over.

Mr. W