PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Student Pay!
Thread: Student Pay!
View Single Post
Old 6th Feb 2004, 01:46
mbwlewis

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dear All

Having read through this forum I think there are a few things that should be pointed out to all involved (both students and current ATCO's)

Firstly lets look at what is happening to the new recruit pay : down 5K to 14K - and yes, you still get the housing allowance of 100 pounds a week. The housing benefit can be written off because you will find it pretty hard to find a decent room for less than 100 pounds a week -
Which means that CATC students will now take home aprox 980.00 a month after tax & NI - what does that pay for?

Some people posting on this topic have a mortgage and bills etc - and I believe that they have a right to be very aggrived with NATS over this. I feel that the company should honor the 19K salary to all those that sat and passed their initial selection tests before the pay structure was agreed.

The second thing I want to start a discussion about is the "type" of person that NATS is going to attract for 14K.

Lets be brutally realistic - I don't believe anyone would leave a job paying in excess of 28K to work for NATS (no matter how big the "dream") It's not good common sense - in the 2 years of college/validation it is likely that in their current job they would receive 2 salary increases and possibly a promotion - so they would be closer to 33K + maybe a car/health plan?

So this means that NATS will be looking for either:

a.) those who are poorly paid but very intelligent?
b.) Less mature First jobbers - -

Are these the people that we want controlling our every more populated skys??? NATS need to secure a high quaity of candidates if they want to avoid a 99% drop-out rate at the college

Thoughts?
Mark

PS - still no news on my interview , but if I have to start on 14K then I could not financially afford it - and after waiting for 2 yrs, would be very upsetting to have to let the opportunity go :-(

Last edited by mbwlewis; 6th Feb 2004 at 04:22.