PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Student Pay!
Thread: Student Pay!
View Single Post
Old 6th Feb 2004, 00:29
5milesbaby

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
mr.777:

Do you think that this acceptable practice by the HR dept of a major company?
Yup, and get used to it if you going to be a NATS employee, at least they start just how they mean to go on.

I too started on £14k, had no money of my own, lots of debts, and many things to buy if I was even going to get to if not through the CATC door (a car for a start). I hadn't even considered if I could afford to up sticks and move 250 miles away from anyone I knew, I just knew I wanted the job and would accept what it gave me. I did know that if I succeeded that I would be then rewarded for my work.

I understand that its not easy for a family person or high earner to just give up everything and join ATC, but the ones that do are the ones that we want, they come with the right attitude and the right approach to make a good teamworker, therefore a great ATCO.

At least you know before you start that the pay is changing, I was already at the college when the current deal was pushed through. It meant that when we finished at the college, instead of going straight onto full ATCO pay (about 28k all in those days), I started on £19k and rose to £22k, and couldn't earn full ATCO pay even if I validated within 2 years (there are some that were faced with this problem).

The moral of the story? S e happens, still a damn fine wage for someone that gives a company NOTHING if they fail (costs for training? Not even worth a guess these days), and gets LOTS if they succeed.