PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - A pilot applying for cabin crew work
View Single Post
Old 5th Feb 2004, 23:37
Q-Tee

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ummm dunno whether it would hurt or hinder your future career as a techie....

I have worked for several airlines, and have trained CRM in two .... in my experience, most airlines believe that cabin crew and pilots have different personality types required for their particular roles ......ie pilots are 'technically oriented' and cabin crew are 'socially oriented' .... it s generalisation, but my interaction over ten years as crew has told be that its a pretty good one.

Few people have the personalities to do both well.

the danger i see is that if you aren't the personality type that would make a good cabin crew member, then a poor record in that role would go against you in applying for a pilot role ( a bad wrap in any position within a company, is after all .... a bad wrap!). The other side of the coin is that if you prove to be a great cabin crew member, the company may have doubts as to your ability for the technical role of Pilot.

Just my thoughts, but most airlines do see the roles as having two vastly different personality traits. Otherwise, there wouldnt be ' Crew Resource Management' , it would still be just ' Cockpit Resource Management'

Having said that, I have met pilots who would make great cabin crew, and cabin crew who would make great pilots ..... but generally the ones that are good at either position, are poles apart in their personalities from those in the opposing position !

No offence intended to either party, but my observations