PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Pilot Magazine Watch Offer
View Single Post
Old 5th Feb 2004, 21:29
mad_jock

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I am a born engineer with the dyslexia to prove it.

Attempting to sit down and write something which isn't a spontanious commiting to paper is akin to torture for me.

Hence I now work as a pilot not a Mechanical Engineer which required reports to be written. Thats not the only reason, if i had had the chance at 17 I would never have gone to Uni,.But hey who knows I use my engineering knowlege and problem solving everyday at work as a pilot.

But why is JF such a strong pulling point for Flyer? His stuff is very broad based which appeals to all aviators. Its the way the technical stuff is written which makes the difference. Unfortunatly most technical pieces are written in the style of Thom and as soon as most ppl's start reading that style will switch off after the pain of the PPL exams. Personally I don't have a problem reading Engineering style reports its actually easier for me than normal newspaper stuff because i only have to read 10% of the piece to get the full content ( its a dyxie thing skim reading only lifting the keywords and data but you need to have some knowledge of the subject to fill the rest in). And also most of these writers have forgotten that a picture says a 1000 words.

I am not saying the pieces should be huge like the "I flew the wife up to Kirkwall for a shag via Oban and Stornway" type stuff.
Just short simple page long stuff which deals with topics which everyone can relate to in theory if not in practise.

MJ

Last edited by mad_jock; 5th Feb 2004 at 21:45.