PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Magneto Checks
Thread: Magneto Checks
View Single Post
Old 5th Feb 2004, 00:29
Say again s l o w l y

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Errr, nope. You can knacker an engine on the ground if it is at a high power setting and you lean it too much as the engine will be under load unless you remove the prop. I've melted quite a few bike and car engines over time because of running too lean and causing detonation. Normally caused by me mucking about and not really knowing what I was doing when I was a teenager.

As a rule of thumb, Run the engine to around 2000rpm, and then lean until the engine reaches peak EGT (if a gauge is fitted) or until the revs drop and then richen by a bit. Leave it like this for 10-20 seconds and then richen the mixture. Go through the power checks again, most of the time this will sort it.

This is not a definative guide and if you are unsure of the procedure get your FI to show you. They should have at least gone through the theory of this during your training if it never actually happened to you.

Better safe than sorry and if you are ever unsure about the mags, then take it back and get it checked.