PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Replacement PAR could damage your health
View Single Post
Old 4th Feb 2004, 16:34
Briney

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Replacement PAR could damage your health

An interesting thread over on the ATC Issues forum has some repercussions for us here and concerns the new GCA radar that has been rolled out to the entire air force (I think). [I have submitted my reply as the starter here]

Has anyone else considered the wider implications other than a few frustrated practice GCAs? I believe that this may be a complete showstopper for the widespread use of GCAs as an 'in anger' recovery aid. Or am I being a drama queen?!

http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthr...54#post1170254

The ridiculous situation to which jack-oh refers is indeed quite remarkable, even for a defence procurement issue! The RPAR being all swept up and fancy has replaced the need for controllers to 'aim' the radar at the aircraft under control by working it out for itself. One of the problems that has been identified is that if you happen to be on a pairs approach and your wingman overshoots, the RPAR is likely to stay focussed on that aircraft and not the one continuing the approach to land. This could quite easily spoil your day. In addition, other aircraft approaching the airfield could attract the atention of the RPAR and decide not to pay any further attention to you!

Recent instructions to military airfields have laid down criteria that must be applied for RPAR approaches under IFR conditions:

No other aircraft within 5 miles of the aircraft on GCA

No other aircraft within 2000 ft vertically above

No other aircraft to pass underneath RPAR traffic

Singleton approaches only

If these critieria are infringed by any track (known or unknown) the RPAR ac is to be broken off the approach. If these conditions cannot be met, units will offer SRAs instead.

So, Lincolnshire/Vale of York airfields, how are you going to get any successful talkdowns?

Of course this is equally a problem when looking at airfields as diversions. How would you like to be on a pairs actual diversion, short of fuel and trying to decide who is going to take the delay of a split for singleton GCAs. Perhaps you decide not to rely on PAR and choose the SRA option instead - Leuchars RW09 procedure minima 890', can't go there in Green or worse.

A quality, quality situation especially when you consider that this is only coming to light when the whole of the airforce has now gone over to this useless POS.

Last edited by Briney; 5th Feb 2004 at 06:19.