PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Crossair Bassersdorf Report
View Single Post
Old 4th Feb 2004, 15:29
TopBunk

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Spuds

I don't disagree with you on much, just approaching it from a different angle - the pilots.

The fact is that at ZRH the local procedures require the VOR28 procedure to be used for political reasons whenever possible after 2000Z (?), in as in this case, often marginal weather conditions. This despite having a CAT3 ILS available. When you fly into ZRH with 28 in use (and a 20kt tailwind on the approach for a 3.7 deg slope) and request ILS 14 due safety, what do you think ATC will say to you? At most places they would accommodate you - not at ZRH - you accept the approach or divert - no choice.

The politicians must decide whether safety or votes come first.

Re the Alitalia crash: as I recall that was (in part) due to the glideslope receiver on the DC9 failing without any fail flags in the central (ie on glideslope) position - ie at least partly technical. Yes, crew procedures should have picked it up, but a bit of a fluke - I have never had a glideslope rxr fail - for it to happen (a) in low ceiling IMC, (b) at ZRH with the terrain, (c) with no fail flag is pretty bl**dy bad luck.