PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Spitfire Ace - TV
View Single Post
Old 4th Feb 2004, 04:43
Tony_EM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Pete Brothers' hop in the Spitfire is typical of how ML407 has been put to the best possible use. Nick Grace took many such folk up in this wonderful Spitfire, memorably the first fighter pilot to fly her in anger; Johnnie Houlton. Carolyn also deserves the greatest praise and admiration not only for taking on the task and responsibility of keeping her in the best possible condition (and doing it very well), but operating her in the best possible way (IMO) by making her so accessible to so many, most especially by giving people like Johnnie Houlton, Jackie Moggridge, Pete Brothers and many others, just one more chance to fly the Spitfire.

It is this last aspect which drives me to support ML407 with so much enthusiasm. I have to say that the small amount I have been able to 'contribute' has brought the most satisfaction/£ I can remember, not just in the wonderful stuff I have bought, but the chance to meet people with a similar passion for Spitfires, especially this one. The videos are indeed worth every penny and the other merchandise is very good quality and value.

There was a Guinnea Pig called Ralph who became a personal hero of mine from the stories he told me about the war. He inspired most of the passion I have for flight, much of the respect and admiration I have for combat pilots and what they and other soldiers did for us, and gave me my first lesson in how to look beyond a person's appearance and appreciate the real person behind. Three very special gifts from a very special man.

This last episode did seem to put the whole series in perspective. Shots of Dave and ML407 were tantalisingly rare and left me pining for more, but the rest of the story was anything but fill. For most people free of a chronic love for flight, it was a compelling insight into the BoB. For me, it was especially rewarding.