PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - ATPLS and the benefits of where you get them
Old 4th Feb 2004, 04:25
Baron buzz

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It seems to me, and I know I am simply a student, but this is my opinion, that Its not what you know, but either who you know or being in the right place at the right time. Im hoping that this is not always the case, but Ive heard from many people that it is.

I did my ATPL groundschool training in London, which was constantly getting slagged off from people that I spoke to. The truth is, im finishing the exams with the same end result as everyone else - 14 ATPL exam passes. Since its the CAA that set the playing field for the exams, why should it matter where you did them, if you have been taught the knowledge to pass them. This, in my opinion goes for the flight training as well. Since its the CAA that in effect test your skills, why should it matter who taught it to you?

If indeed the above is the case, can someone in an airline actually justify why someone who paid over the odds for their training and who has the same flying qualifications (frozen ATPL) stand a better chance than someone who also holds a frozen ATPL and went somewhere they could afford?

I hope the above doesnt read 'im against Oxford' because that is certainly not the case!