PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Crossair Bassersdorf Report
View Single Post
Old 4th Feb 2004, 03:36
RRAAMJET

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy

Holy mackerel...I don't ever like to critique in the aftermath, but in this case I feel compelled.

This must stand as an example of why, if you ever fly with someone you feel to be completely at odds with SOP's or normal safe and prudent aviating, you MUST report it up the chain of command, or even to your Union if necessary. This commander had enough warning flags - nobody seems to have collated and prevented the incidents. You are doing your pax and fellow crew a favour, and perhaps helping out the struggling individual.

In this case I feel a very inexperienced FO was hoodwinked into not intervening. Descent below MDA when not visual is illegal as well as imprudent.

Failing the MD-80 course and having difficulty with the 146? Hmmm....more red flags. These are not, by any measure, difficult aircraft. (The MD-80 is simply archaic and chaotic, but not difficult).

Raising the gear on the ground as a demo in the real aircraft? WTF? That's what sim's are for, if you want to play. Good grief. VFR nav into the wrong country? Helloooo...
How many strikes do you get at Crossair? 3 and out? 4? What?
Now combine the above with fatigue....hello trees.

9 survivors are a testament to the incredible structural strength of the 146.

This is the first time I can be correctly accused of "Monday morning quarterbacking", but to you newcomers out there: don't ever, ever be afraid to query, question and refer those who would appear to be Gods. A policy of no foul should apply. Perhaps 24 souls would still be alive had it occurred here.

No wonder there's a lawsuit pending....