PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - UK travel
Thread: UK travel
View Single Post
Old 3rd Feb 2004, 07:30
fireflybob

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
There is a distinct lack of leadership. The majority of Parliament are from the legal profession and very few of them have any experience of business.

Having said that I just wonder who is really running the country at the moment (if anyone!). What we need now is a "common sense" party - our government is NOT representing the views of the electorate mainly because we do not have an effective opposition. I fear that things will only get worse before they get better.

The media is also responsible for constantly dumbing us down and encouraging us to accept levels of mediocrity and concentrating on what various popstars or footballers are up to etc instead of the REAL issues of the day.

Three areas that need tough and agressive action - Transport, Education and Crime (not necessarily in that order!). I recently had my car stolen and written off. The police say that in the unlikely event of finding the culprits it is highly likely they have a file with circa 30 previous convictions on file but the only trouble is they have never been locked up for a while but end up doing "community service". It is this type of situation which has created a feeling of apathy amongst the electorate who feel that the law is there to protect the criminal rather than the victim.

The UK transport system apart from some notable exceptions is a shambles and successive governments have done b****r all about it. Shame on them!