PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Mra4?
Thread: Mra4?
View Single Post
Old 3rd Feb 2004, 06:49
Magic Mushroom

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mr Lurcher,
Where, have I suggested that an E-3D descend to 10 000ft?

Where have I suggested the E-3D flies at low level over land or sea?

Where have I suggested that the E-3D should carry offensive weaponry?

If you cannot contribute to intelligent debate other than by twisting the comments of others, may I suggest that you do not bother.

The Nimrod MR2 does several overland tasks at medium-high altitude. Indeed, some of those roles could be enhanced by additional altitude. Once again, I will state that it is only these roles which an E-3D could (and on occasion has) assume from a Nimrod.

The overland activities at 10 000ft to which you refer are the ones which I am suggesting that UAVs such as Predator or Predator B could accomplish. Moreover, an asset such as Predator requires far reduced logistics support and infrastructure (and is therefore far cheaper) in comparison to Nimrod MR2 ops.

Steamchicken,
You question the relevancy of my argument that UAVs have proved successful despite deployed ops conditions. Presumably, you are therefore unaware that the Gnat (Croatia, Bosnia), Predator (Bosnia) and Global Hawk (Afghanistan, TELIC) were operated in prototype form during these conflicts, prior to service release. Indeed, the Global Hawk is still not in full service with the USAF, yet proved one of the most significant ISTAR assets over Iraq.

Regards,
M2