PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Spitfire Ace - TV
View Single Post
Old 3rd Feb 2004, 05:47
corsair

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just watched the last episode. Despite what some say I enjoyed it and I feel it was a lot better than the average of this kind of production. In fact of it's genre it was excellent.
There was a bit more of Dave flying tonight. But the main thrust was again the history. I wonder if that was the original intention. I thought the point was to feature a young guy converting to a Spitfire. But realistically the intricacies of handling and flying a Spitfire may be utterly fascinating to pilots like me. But this is TV and a broad brush must be used and in fact the history was just as fascinating.

The small piece on Richard Hillary and the guinea pigs was sobering. As it happens I have just read 'The Last Enemy' again. It is absolutely to be recommended. There is added poignancy as you read, when you realise that not only did all his friends die but that he too was doomed not to survive the war. The item on his friend Peter Pease was fascinating. Given Hillary's description and obvious admiration of him. It was no surprise. I was pleased see 'Stapme' Stapleton a colleague of his from 603 Squadron alive and well.

I have to say though the highlight of the programme was seeing Pete Brothers fly a Spit again. Brought a lump to my throat that.

I would watch it again because I'm a sucker for the elliptical wing and that sonorous merlin tone.

Well done Dave Mallon and I hope he keeps flying judging from the praise he got.