PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - No Radio Dick: The Next Instalment
View Single Post
Old 3rd Feb 2004, 03:53
RTB RFN

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dick - I think common sense and clarity of thought is escaping you.

The list you provided would probably have still occurred and more.

The only difference is that they would have occurred in a quieter environment. Other's would have been added due to the required alert factor of right frequency and required reporting.

NAS would only have increased the numerical value of incidents however they will now remain invisible due to NAS rule definitions changing the reporting rate. (you cunning devil you).

Your argument regarding concetration on the area of concern is fallacious. By reducing CTR size you are shifting the hazard to CLOSER to the aerodrome and CONCENTRATING the hazard closer to the aerodrome. By changing reporting requirements and causing confusion with what is the appropriate frequency there will be less voice alerts. ATC workload has increased due to illogical C airspace steps and higher levels of alerting in E and higher levels of intra-system coordination by ATC's. NAS 3 will icrease this with the unalerted free-for -all at MBZ's and multi-runway GAAP's out of hours.

Have you any idea what workload you have caused so many people trying to find workarounds to make this monster safer?

I have campaigned long and hard on VCA's, discovering the reasons 'why' and designing and promoting strategies for reductions in VCA incidence. NAS does not reduce the VCA problem - it exacerbates it. It concetrates it and multiplies it and most importantly reduces our awareness of the problem and prevents corrective action.

I'd like to say watch me prove it but no honest assessment can be made. The statistics cannot be collected.

Where is the Post Implemention Review on all of this.

I note you are now doing some self-image marketing (SAFETY - now that is sacriligious) - or is this merely some preparatory work in anticipation of appearing before someone especially impressive.