PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Cockpit Visits
Thread: Cockpit Visits
View Single Post
Old 3rd Feb 2004, 03:39
Ropey Pilot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cockpit Visits

I realise that this subject has been mentioned before, but all I can remember from briefly looking at the thread was lots of abuse hurled at the poor person who posted it.

Unfortunately I can't get the search function to find it to see if there were useful replies - so here goes...

I realise that the chances of walking up to the cockpit during a flight and asking to see inside are slightly lower than the chance of Tony B. Liar and G Dubbya both finding Osama Bin Laden sitting on a pile of WMD in downtown Bagdhad but...

I am pursuing a career in Civil aviation having 'retired' (at 30!) from Lizzie's train set and was so deprived as a child that we never went on holiday, hence my dad never got me up on the flight deck pre 9/11 - therefore I have never seen one (Unless you count MS FlightSim and quickly glancing past the cabin crew on exit)!

Is there any chance (heads down, flak jackets on ) of gaining a jump seat ride with anyone flying big iron with enough notice, voluntary vetting etc. etc. Or will they just remember me as a pain in the ar$e when my CV finally flies their way.

I know of people who did this without any problems a few years ago - it just seems that given the first piece of advice ever metered out to Wannabees on Prune is "have a trial lesson", surely wanting to see the final product before the job interview stage isn't asking too much as a follow up!

The only thing I can see against it is company policy automatically assuming I am a terrorist - but following that how much vetting is done further down the line to prove I'm not just a terrorist with an ATPL!

(And before it gets out of hand - I am not a terrorist, nor would I say, or even think, the word b*mb at any airport - before the secret service track me down ).

Just a genuine query as I would quite like to see what I'm getting myself into!