PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Mra4?
Thread: Mra4?
View Single Post
Old 2nd Feb 2004, 20:46
The Gorilla

Inter Arma Enim Silentius Lex Legis

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angel

Steamchix

You may be cynical about the prospect but I strongly suspect your worst night mare is the MOD's current sweetest dream!

Charlie L

MM's comments are most valid and I have to agree with him, it seems that a lot of what he says on here is being taken (deliberately?) out of context.

Yes the Nimrod MR2 is an anti sub anti shipping platform and it is a combat aircraft. No the E3 doesn't fly at 200 feet over the sea and can't do the nimrods speciality acts. There is a point though, at which both have cross over capabilities i.e. surveillance.

I still say and have said many times on this forum, the MRA4 will never fly. Even in the unlikely event they find a test crew with suicidal tendencies and the prototypes do fly, the Nimrod MRA4 will never enter a production run.

The Defence budget is about to be cut big time. The disposal of the MRA4 project would suit all 3 parties concerned. The MOD because it can horse trade with the Treasury over other projects. BWoS because they will stop being bled dry by a project that was doomed from the outset (Portillos baby on the cheap) and finally HM Treasury who, as always when it comes to Defence matters, win hands down!!

As for the Nimrod being misunderstood, well it's full of AEops isn't it? They are the most misunderstood chimps on the planet!!