PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Army Air Corps Pilots...??
View Single Post
Old 2nd Feb 2004, 16:50
ChristopherRobin

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Zerospeed - people in glass houses shouldn't play with frag grenades. The people you mention were from different regiments and corps so we couldn't give a crap about them because the Army is a collection of regiments and corps, not really a homogenous organisation.

The RAF, on the other hand is a homogenous organisation and there have been plenty of dirt from there - I can't remember his name, but who was the 2-faced b@st@rd that put out the standards of behaviour booklet while having an adulterous affair? He was definitely RAF though. And what about the celebrated RAF officer that I learned about in this very forum that ejected from a vulcan for no good reason leaving his back-seaters to die?

Turning to how busy you guys are in the desert, one could find it simple to contrast that with your performance in N.I. where you will find a lot of people prepared to discuss the "effectiveness" of the RAF's role there where the weather isn't as balmy. Everyone knows that the Lynx is crap in the desert because we bought it from Westland's - that's not the fault of the guys operating it who I absolutely guarantee you are living and fighting in much tougher conditions than you'll ever see in your puff.

So if you want to sling that sort of mud, I'm sure we could go on and on ad infinitum, if not ad astra.

...But we're here to advise Foz2 about what his options are, not parry fairly ineffectual and uninteresting banter from you.

Foz2 - here is my advice if you want to do really good operational flying and be an officer and fly the Apache: Join the AAC, transfer to the Navy when you spot the deskjob hoving into view, fly junglies and come back to the AAC on attachment.

It's worked for a few guys already - so why not give it a go? The AAC, like any decent medieval feudal society, rewards disloyalty by offering sweeteners to come back and stay loyal. The ordinary serfs, sticking with the Corps through thick and thin, get what they're given, and because they don't complain, aren't given very much.

Some may call me bitter, but I don't think that I am (even though I clearly sound like I am). I made my choice, and no, I don't fly any more, but hope to again soon. My desk job is one of the very best I could have hoped for it's interesting and varied - it's just that I'd rather be flying and where's the harm in that?

I have had a terrific time soldiering in the Army Air Corps and made some good calls in my career, some bad. Why am I still in the AAC? Like any good relationship sometimes you really love it and sometimes you totally hate it. Isn't that better than meandering along in amiable tolerance for the rest of your life?