PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - PA28 Nosewheel collapse at YSBK?
View Single Post
Old 2nd Feb 2004, 13:20
Northern Chique

PPRuNe's Paramedic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mr Wiggum sir.... I obviously caused a wry taste with my post... please allow me to explain...

There are emergency vehicles that exceed speed limits on roads... there are idiots who choose to follow those emergency vehicles at speed and well in excess of posted speed limits. Most of these idiots are so close up our tailgates we cannot see them in the mirrors at all. Ive had one pretty close up my tail and decided when we pulled intot he left lane for a police sedan to pass, going to the same motor vehicle prang we were, he decided to follow the police car at speed.

He was subsequently charged.

The other downside is that if we are involved in a prang, that takes out our truck, the crew, plus another crew that has to then respond to the job we were initially going to (which may be too late for that patient) and a replacement crew for us.

Also true is the fact that paramedics are going to be on scene. Sure, but what kinda shape are we gonna be in? If there was a patient in the back with an unbelted paramedic trying to perform their duty in keeping that person alive, the risk of a multiple fatilty in a rear end collision with an ambulance is very high. Most of the time, while trying to resus kids, the stretcher is too big and the restraints are minimal, due to the need to access the patient. Two paramedics are often in the back unrestrained in a case like this. Both at extreme risk in the event of a collision.

I take it your reply was tongue in cheek, and falling in behind the vehicle is just fine by me, but speed limits were set, we take risks and responsibilities with the extra privilages we get. If we pick up an idiot tailgater, normally I slow down. That takes the whole point out of getting to a job quickly.

Once again Ive digressed...

I do rather feel sorry for the pilot of the aircraft.... theres a day or two where I wondered what Id done to deserve walking away with little but bent pride over a bad landing.

Last edited by Northern Chique; 2nd Feb 2004 at 13:33.