PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - No Radio Dick: The Next Instalment
View Single Post
Old 2nd Feb 2004, 12:19
DirectAnywhere

Received 164 Likes on 36 Posts
OK Dick. Sorry, I see your point now but I still don't agree with it. The issue you identify is not one of people monitoring the radio while in enroute airspace but FAILING to monitor the correct frequency when within an MBZ. These are two seperate issues. Incidentally, I agree the majority of calls monitored enroute are irrelevant. However, some aren't; but back to the issue. The second issue - the one you've identified as the problem - should be corrected by better training - not simply by removing the requirement to listen to the radio - either enroute or within a CTAF/ former MBZ under 2c.

Secondly, I do not believe there will be less pilots using the radio but there will be more aircraft, those not equipped with radios, now able to share the same airspace as High Cap. RPT aircraft. Even if an RPT aircraft does sight an aircraft within a 2c CTAF if that aircraft is not radio equipped it becomes a guessing game, based upon "recommended" - not mandatory - procedures as to what that aircraft is going to do.

This opens up a can of worms as a pilot can essentially do what they like - within the bounds of the remaining CARs - and whilst "taking all reasonable steps to ensure that his/her aircraft does not cause a danger to other aircraft". Of course, you need to know the other aircraft is there to do that!!

However, airspace-related occurrences within MBZs particularly those relating to radio usage, continue to be of safety concern.
And sorry, I have to say that again surely this is a training issue. The procedures work fine, so long as people follow them. And whilst I understand your desire to make things simpler, simpler isn't necessarily safer.

One of the major issues I have with Class E as it stands now has already been identified in this thread. Although, the airspace is simpler, and people are making less "errors", as the incident at Launceston has shown, everybody can do everything right and still have an airprox. At least in Class C, someone has to make a mistake for that to happen. I believe the same is true of this proposal.