PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - No Radio Dick: The Next Instalment
View Single Post
Old 2nd Feb 2004, 10:21
Dick Smith

Received 74 Likes on 29 Posts
Howard Hughes, you asked

“how can removing frequencies from charts whilst still expecting people to be on an “appropriate frequency” enhance safety OCTA?”
Safety is enhanced because the system is simpler. Now when flying enroute, if a pilot is in the approach and departure airspace of an aerodrome, they monitor the aerodrome frequency. Where are airline aircraft likely to conflict with VFR aircraft? Yes, in the approach and departure airspace of an aerodrome.

I agree that many of the incidents quoted pre-NAS have aircraft with the wrong frequency selected. Proven overseas systems have shown that if you simplify the system and say to pilots that when in the approach and departure airspace of an aerodrome, monitor the aerodrome frequency, it is such a simple request that it is more often complied with.

I feel sure that you believe that VFR pilots flying enroute in the old system were religiously monitoring ATC frequencies and changing frequency when crossing a radio frequency boundary. You believe this happened, when IFR pilots (who are far more skilled) are told when to change frequency all the time and still make errors.

The old system may have given us a good feeling inside, but compliance was difficult and required pilots to be constantly looking down at charts rather than remaining vigilant.

As over 80% of airports are on frequency 126.7, a pilot can now fly enroute in much of the airspace monitoring 126.7, and be assured of receiving traffic information on aircraft approaching and departing those airports.

People on this forum constantly put down so-called “private pilots”, however incident reports show that all pilots make errors, and the simpler the system, the fewer errors are likely to be made.

I’m sure many will agree.

89 steps to heaven, I'm not sure after 10,000 words of posting what questions I haven't answered. Give me a call on 02 9450 0600 or 0408 640 221 to discuss this. Don't be timid! Bite the bullet and give me a call.