PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - No Radio Dick: The Next Instalment
View Single Post
Old 2nd Feb 2004, 09:17
Dick Smith

Received 74 Likes on 29 Posts
Next Generation, I did not introduce the concept of affordable safety. I've never heard of anything so ridiculous in all my life. Safety has always been limited to what society can afford. That's why you have to be very astute and allocate the finite resources so they save the most lives.

The additional safety from 27 November changes comes from the fact that air traffic controllers and pilots will be more able to concentrate their resources where the collision risk is higher - that is closer to the airport. This will be reflected in a reduction in the number of serious safety incidents. The reason Class C airspace above places like Launceston has been changed to Class E is so that air traffic control resources can be moved to where the collision risk is highest and where the most serious incidents have been occurring.

Next Generation, you state:

I can't see the improvement
Of course, if you just look at incidents which take place in Class E airspace and not also look at incidents which take place in airspace closer to the aerodrome you will not be able to see a change, however, if you objectively look at the situation you will find that by concentrating air traffic control resources to where the collision risk is highest, that safety will improve.

To save answering a further question, the reason that unalerted see and avoid incidents will be reduced in MBZ airports is because VFR aircraft flying enroute will no longer be monitoring hundreds of calls which are irrelevant. The new system is simpler and will result in higher compliance rates in the airport area and there will be less "defusion of responsibility" because most calls received by a pilot in Class G airspace will be relevant traffic information. The USA appears to have a lower number of unalerted see and avoid incidents reported in the circuit area of aerodromes. This is primarily because there is no enroute ATC frequency for VFR pilots to monitor, and there is a simple and straight forward CTAF system that is common at every non-tower airport.

The reason the Coffs Harbour incident is mentioned is due to the fact that the ATSB did not send out a press release about it, whereas they did in relation to the Launceston incident.

Last edited by Dick Smith; 2nd Feb 2004 at 09:35.