PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - New Ryanair Credit Card Charges
View Single Post
Old 2nd Feb 2004, 07:19
jetstream7

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ryanair's charges and justification are complete

Debit card transaction are charged by the transaction, and even for a small business amount to around 25p per sale - to charge 40p (for one sector, for one person) represents a small profit for Ryanair, but to charge £3.20 (family of 4, return flight) is outrageous.
I'd hazard a guess Ryanair are charged somewhat less than the 25p per transaction I've quoted given the scale of their business.
If not, then they're being ripped off.

Credit Cards are less clear as transaction charges are based usually on a %age of the total value - 2.5% appears to the norm, so £1.75 is not unreasonable for fares costing £70.00 upwards, though profiteering for anything less than this (most fares are less than £70.00 per sector...)

So long as FR have stripped the charges out of their fares, than ok....

Strange how FR haven't made the change in charging a 'news item' on their website too...

On the wheelchair charges, my recollection was that much of Ryanair's argument was with BAA as their airports were amongst the few that charged - yet afaik all routes have the charge... am I being cynical, or is there another hint here of profiteering?