PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Magneto Checks
Thread: Magneto Checks
View Single Post
Old 2nd Feb 2004, 04:32
Kolibear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Magneto Checks

When I was learning to fly, I was taught to check the mag. drop after starting the engine. Later on, a different instructor told me that this initial mag check was not to check the mag drop, but to confirm that turning the key actually turned the mags off. The theory being that the engine was not up to temperature and checking the drop at idle was not a valid check of the magneto performance. A full mag check should be carried out at 2000rpm and the revs. should be allowed to stabilise on each mag. prior to moving to the next switch position, rather than a quick, 'Both-Left, Both; Both, Left, Right,Left,Both'.

While doing the mag. checks I have to confess to inadvertantly turning the key too far the wrong way and causing a Dead Cut. Now, my Cessna check list had 'Check for dead cut' as a valid check, which my instructor then scored out. I feel that stopping the engine momentarily, is a Bad Idea, as it must put a shock into the engine as well as releasing a small charge of unburnt fuel into the exhaust system. This could then ignite causing damage to the manifold or a backfire.

I don't feel that engine handling is taught as well as it should be.