PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Sheffield University - BEng with pilot studies
Old 1st Feb 2004, 16:55
Genghis the Engineer

Received 52 Likes on 28 Posts
Sheffield University - BEng with pilot studies

My apologies if this has been covered before. However...

I've just come back from an interesting day visiting Sheffield University's Mechanical Engineering department, where a couple of aerospace degree courses are being run within that department (plus help from a few others) by a remarkable chap by the name of Professor Costas Soutis.

It appears that a new course is about to be run, which is "BEng Aerospace Engineering with Private Pilot Instruction", the intention being to graduate students with both an Engineering Council / RAeS approved aerospace engineering degree, and either a PPL, or at-least enough instruction that barring medical or competence problems, they could have got one. I've just taken a glance at the department's website here, which doesn't mention it yet - but I promise I've seen the draft prospectus which is apparently at the printers as we speak. So, if anybody is doing their A-levels and struggling with the pilot .v engineer decision (or like me, finds both paths equally fascinating), might I suggest dropping the department a line and asking for a prospectus. Apparently the A-level requirements will be AAB or thereabouts, and places will be limited to about a dozen per year - so it's clearly not going to be an easy ride (what professional aerospace training is?).

Incidentally, I should probably come clean and admit that I've been asked to consider doing some part time lecturing on the course - but please don't let that put you off

You heard it on Pprune first!

G