PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - One For All
Thread: One For All
View Single Post
Old 1st Feb 2004, 07:12
bonvol

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
In 1989 an F28 First Officer grossed around $68,000 and a Capt around $110,000 a year. Some got a bit more and some got a bit less. I dont think the F100 Alliance drivers get any more now do they?

You do the maths and work out how far the salaries have been wound back. If the companies advertised $25K salaries for a 737 F/O these days every wannabe in GA would most likely apply. Its better than being a casual instructor and delivering pizzas by night.

The companies, much encouraged by the response would only offer 20K next ad! A somewhat overstated argument I admit but if pilots always accept the terms and conditions offered then beancounters tend to want to see where the boundary is.

A "gradual" eroding of T & C's will establish where this boundary is, and that is what we are seeing now. Management also use the fact that Australia is an attractive place to live and people will do it for less just to work here. You dont see too many QF mainline guys nicking off O/S to chase the money.

It's got a way to go yet I reckon and with the disparate nature of pilot unity in this country we can only see further erosions.

Ah, but we go over old ground. Its all been done to death in the archives of this site. Theres always someone who will do the job for less be it GA or Airlines.