PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Newcastle-10
Thread: Newcastle-10
View Single Post
Old 15th May 2024, 18:12
jensdad

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by RA85684
https://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/news...r-29170241.amp

Quite interesting to read. I remember during the takeover of NUFC it was promised that investment would encompass the whole region, not just the football club.

If this is true and if it is successful and approved, and IF we ever actually see any of it (I wonder how much gets diverted and filtered through Westminster…) 3 billion quid is huge! It would be a game changer for the region.

Do we reckon any could be invested into NCL? If anyone from the PIF, Local Authorities, or NCL are reading this, a few million would more than cover a new extension to the north end of the terminal, with a second pier and more remote stands. Plus perhaps a few hundred thousand to Saudia or Riyadh air for an A321/787 to Riyadh and/or Jeddah a few times a week.
If NCL wants to expand, and avoid turning into a hellhole like EDI/BHX/LTN/STN at peak times, and retain our favourable position as a decent airport to fly from - they need to invest in infrastructure and expand the terminal, now.

Ryanair wise, I’d be surprised if FUE/LPA/PFO stay at 1 weekly. FR don’t really do single frequencies like that, and I’d struggle to believe that they aren’t raking it in on the majority of their routes - as long as they’re looking at ancillary charges and onboard spend as part of their revenue out of NCL. Geordies spend!

There’s plenty more for FR to do out of NCL, a solid 20+ routes they could sustain with relative ease. Let’s hope team NCL are pushing hard for an aircraft or two from the closure of the Bordeaux base. FR have openly said that the base closure will be to the benefit of other airports that are willing to cut them a deal. NCL would be daft not to.
£3 billion is indeed huge, which makes me wonder why it will only 'help' to 'sustain' (not even 'create') 2.000 jobs. It's hard to see how the economic activity involved in the said 'sustenance' of 2,000 jobs would be transformational or a 'game-changer'. It's all very nebulous.
Personally, I think all of the new-found Saudi enthusiasts on Tyneside who have rolled out the red carpet for a bunch of murderers in exchange for winning a few football matches should be ashamed of themselves, but that's probably one for JetBlast.