PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Mra4?
Thread: Mra4?
View Single Post
Old 31st Jan 2004, 19:33
Ombit

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I remember a time, not too long ago when the Yanks asked for help in one of their 'Ops' because Nimrod could do things that their P3's couldn't. So we sent Nimrod to the good 'ol US of A to solve one of their many problems. It was a very successful trip if I recall correctly.

From Submariner friend - Bl@@dy Nimrods are a pain in the @rse. You just don't see them coming - where as P3's and Atlantiques you can see(hear) coming from miles away!
Not bad for an aircraft conceived in the 60's [Ed check dates]

I say bring on the MRA4 - Yes, the Nimrod needs to have it's avionics etc updated but it is still the best platform for ASW/ASUW bar none.

As for Ice Station Kilo, I met my wife up their and have since been touring the UK. I loved the base, the countryside and (some) of the people. Given the chance, I would go back tomorrow.

Yes, I'm biased. After working with them for nine and half years who wouldn't be? But I'm scummy ground crew and ground crew are not well known for their admiration of an aircraft or the crews that fly them.

BAe are the only hinderance to Nimrod, as they can not escape the Dinosaur way of operating. A FS Fairey friend was working with the MRA4 and complained bitterly about the incompetence of BAe. He is now working on the A400M project and says that Airbus are a much more efficient outfit. I can't help but think if we boycotted BAe for all future projects everything would run on time and within budjet.