PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Blair, Hoon et al didn't lie. They honestly believed the dossier.
Old 31st Jan 2004, 19:11
Jackonicko

Received 57 Likes on 11 Posts
Feba,

We seldom agree, but this time we seem to. Could I just assure you that I don't condemn Kelly's actions - he did the right thing but in doing so does bear some responsibility. The BBC rightly chose to report his concerns (again the right thing, but again bringing with it some responsibility).

Maple,

If it were just the media 'crying foul' you'd have some grounds for what you say, but it isn't. Most reasonable observers (including many from the int world) see Hutton as unbalanced, unfair and unduly selective.

If you believe Hutton you're supposed to believe that Kelly never mentioned Campbell at all, not that someone fed him the name.

You seem to be happy to cast mud at Gilligan. All I can say is that that seems pretty low, and add that media figures from Rod Liddle (until recently his boss at Today) on the left to Boris Johnson on the right seem to rate him very highly indeed. And I don't see anything particularly exceptionable about what Gilligan said in his reports - he qualified what was already only a reported opinion with liberal use of words like 'probably', and has since been shown to have been largely correct. Blair, on the other hand, has been shown to have been entirely wrong, though the 'independent' enquiry which he set up (under the leadership of another chummy barrister who Labour had elevated to the Peerage) and whose terms of reference he set out unsurprisingly let him off scot free.