PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Was the Lightning really THAT good ?
View Single Post
Old 10th May 2024, 19:14
anxiao

Received 50 Likes on 11 Posts
Thank you shaft109 for that Binbrook Lightning video. I flew in the airlines with several ex Lightning pilots and apart from their being exceedingly sound operators they were a bunch of delightful hooligans who enjoyed a cold beer on a hot day. Their stories after a couple of beers were outstanding and if nothing else in the world the Lightning gave some of the RAF's top pilots a place to strut their stuff.

The engineering officer in that film is being wonderfully diplomatic with the problems he had keeping the thing in the air, but remember this was the '60s and 70's and a 10-1 ground to air hours amongst the top fighters and bombers of the day was normal.

Yes it was a brilliant aircraft of its day. The pilots I spoke to all loved it like a difficult mistress, it gave magnificent service for a lot of hard work and high maintenance.

Edited to add, one ex Lightning pilot I flew with joined an international airline out of the RAF. He had filled in on the application that he had twin jet hours. When it came to the 727 (yes not -37) simulator engine failure on take off he departed the runway in fine style. Twice. His understanding first officer for the day advised him that he needed to put in some rudder and the third departure waddled into the air to the satisfaction of the check captain. He got the job