PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Blair, Hoon et al didn't lie. They honestly believed the dossier.
Old 31st Jan 2004, 17:09
FEBA

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Jacko
There's a lot of cutting and pasting on this thread which is annoying. Some wish to strategically dissect what has been written which only serves to focus on the minutia rather than the topic as a whole. However some of it is self defeating and serves to illustrate my (and everyone else's) concerns perfectly. for example Grant T said "What is curious about a Judge doing the job he was told to do and that was to investigate who was responsible for the death of Dr. David Kelly"
The Hutton affair has a stronger whiff that a Spanish trawler in the Irish box and I really hope, for the sake of democracy, that it will bring down Blair, Straw, Hoon the Intelligence cronies and the heads of the MOD.
The fact that Spanish trawler syndrone was seeping from under doors into the corridors of power leads me to disagree with your statement that " Had Kelly himself not gone forward and 'given himself up' it's quite possible that he would not have been discovered. Gilligan's blurring of his source's job description might have made it difficult to identify him. But at the same time, Kelly would still be alive today had he not spoken to journos. (I incline to the view that he'd have come a cropper by talking to Susan Watts or one of the others even if he hadn't spoken to Gilligan). To that extent, the BBC must take some responsibility for events"
Dr Kelly was a man troubled by a good conscience regarding the magnitude of duplicity that the government was prepared to use in order to take the country to war. TB won the vote based on the fact that WMD existed in Iraq and that it's threat to us and future generations was more than he could bare. No mention in his arguement of regime change or meddling with the political sovereignty of Iraq, just WMD. This is what bothered Dr Kelly and that is why he approached Mr Gilligan. Dr Kelly was a highly intelligent man, he knew full well the gravity of his decision to meet with the BBC. You can't hold the BBC responsible for that. Hutton said that Gilligans report was without substance, do you believe that ?
Maybe Mr Gilligan would like to comment on this site. It's clearly read by the right people.
Regards
FEBA