PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Crosswind Landing Accident.
View Single Post
Old 6th May 2024, 15:19
RichardJones

Received 31 Likes on 18 Posts
Originally Posted by Pilot DAR
I can't speak for flying, or test flying Boeings or Airbus airplanes. That said, I've done a lot of GA crosswind testing, and I have used the rudder a lot! I have done testing (up to Cessna Caravan) where the touchdown was with full rudder deflection (and then a couple of hints of same side brake to heap maintain heading). At those values, I demonstrated compliance with the crosswind handling requirement. I accept that the risk of an engine pod strike affects technique, but to fly a crab only crosswind approach seems like an unstabilized approach to me - at the last minute, a large heading change, and possible drift off the runway.

I know that when I fly a stabilized slip approach, if I can hold the slip, and runway alignment, the landing should be possible in those conditions with little difficulty. I will always train pilots to primarily slip a crosswind approach, right through to touchdown if needed. Particularly in floatplanes, where a sudden crab correction at flare could be dangerous). If those pilots, with basic skills well developed, go on to fly larger airplanes, with different recommended techniques, that's fine - it's skill building, not eroding!

Well said.
For me, the basics are the same and I have used those basics right through to and including 4 engined heavy Jets.